Foreign Resident Withholding Tax in Australia - What You Need to Know

If you've ever dabbled in the Australian property market or are considering doing so, you've likely come across the term "Foreign Resident Withholding Tax" or FRWT. Whether you're an Australian resident or hail from overseas, understanding this tax is crucial. Let's dive deep into what this tax entails and why it's essential for you to be in the know.

What is the Foreign Resident Capital Gains Withholding?

You might be wondering, "What exactly is FRCGW?" At its core, the Foreign Resident Capital Gains Withholding tax is designed to ensure that foreign residents meet their tax obligations in Australia. Currently, the tax rate stands at 12.5%. But here's the catch: it's applicable for real property disposals where the contract price is $750,000 or more. So, if you're a foreign resident selling a property in Australia, this is a tax you'll want to familiarise yourself with.

Now, you might be curious about the origins of this tax. The FRCGW wasn't always around. It was introduced as a mechanism to aid the collection of foreign residents’ Australian tax liabilities. The idea was simple: if a foreign resident is making a profit from selling property in Australia, they should contribute to the Australian tax system. Over the years, this tax has seen various adjustments, but its primary purpose remains unchanged: ensuring foreign residents pay their fair share.

Who does it impact?

Let's get personal for a moment. Are you affected by the FRCGW? If you're a foreign resident selling property in Australia, the answer is likely yes. But if you're an Australian resident, there's good news. You can avoid this withholding tax altogether, provided you take the right steps, which we'll delve into shortly.

Now, let's talk assets. Not all assets are subject to the FRCGW. The primary focus is on real property, which includes land, buildings, and residential properties. If you're selling or transferring these types of assets in Australia, and the contract price is $750,000 or more, you should be aware of the FRCGW implications. Remember, knowledge is power, especially when it comes to taxes.

Clearance certificates

Imagine you're an Australian resident selling your property. The last thing you want is to be mistaken for a foreign resident and have a chunk of your sale withheld. This is where the clearance certificate comes into play. By obtaining this certificate from the Australian Tax Office (ATO) before settlement, you're essentially proving your residency status. It's your golden ticket to ensure that the purchaser doesn't withhold that 12.5% tax from the sale price. So, if you're thinking of selling, make sure this certificate is on your checklist!

Exceptions to this tax

"But what if my situation is unique?" you might ask. There are indeed exceptions to the rule. For instance, if the property you're selling is valued at less than $750,000, the FRCGW doesn't apply. Additionally, certain types of property transactions, like those involving bankruptcy, are also exempt. It's always a good idea to consult with a tax professional to understand any exclusions that might apply to you.

The vendor’s role

If you're the seller (or "vendor" in tax lingo), you have specific responsibilities. First and foremost, you need to inform the purchaser whether you're an Australian resident or not. If you're a foreign resident and don't provide this information, the purchaser is obligated to withhold the 12.5% tax from the sale price. So, communication is key! And if you're an Australian resident, remember that golden ticket we talked about earlier? The clearance certificate? Make sure you have it in hand.

The role of the buyer

Now, if you're on the buying end of the deal, there are things you need to know too. As a purchaser, it's your responsibility to determine if the FRCGW applies. If the vendor doesn't provide their residency status or a clearance certificate, you must withhold the tax and pay it to the ATO. It might seem like a hefty responsibility, but with the right information, you can navigate this process smoothly.

In the vast world of Australian property transactions, the Foreign Resident Capital Gains Withholding tax is a crucial piece of the puzzle. Whether you're buying, selling, or just curious, understanding this tax can save you time, money, and potential headaches. Remember, when in doubt, always consult with a tax professional. They can provide guidance tailored to your unique situation. And as you venture into the Australian property market, armed with this knowledge, you're already several steps ahead. Best of luck!


To Your Financial Success!


Jarrad Brown is an Australian-trained and qualified Fee-Based Financial Planner Global Financial Consultants Pte Ltd providing specialist financial advice and portfolio management services to Australian professionals in Singapore. Jarrad Brown is an Authorised Representative of Global Financial Consultants Pte Ltd - No: 200305462G | MAS License No: FA100035-3

To learn more about how we may be able to help you, please contact us:

✆         +65 8282 5702

Click here to book a complimentary consultation: Book here


General Information Only: The information on this site is of a general nature only. It does not take into account your individual financial situation, objectives or needs. You should consider your own financial position and requirements before making a decision.

*Please note that Jarrad Brown is not a tax agent or accountant and none of the content outlined here should be taken as personal advice. You should consult your tax agent and financial adviser to review your current personal finances and financial goals to consider whether this strategy is appropriate for you.

Like this article? Pay it forward and share it with your network

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top